Alfred "Mr. Fred" Emery

As you all can see, my short break was a little bit longer than expected. I do apologize for that.

Since my last update, Mr. Fred went from bad to worse. While in hospital, he could not stop having small heart attacks that were shooting blood clots into his blood stream causing more strokes. By Wednesday before last, the family was flying  in from all over the West Coast as Mr. Fred's final wishes regarding how he wished to live, and how he wished to go all needed to be shared and carried out.

It was a beautiful thing to be part of the process, from reading to him, keeping him comfortable, to the singing his family did around his beside.

Friday before last he came home to end his life in the comfort of his home, surrounded by family and loved ones. I will not lie and say it was easy or fun. But, I am honored to have been part of Mr. Fred's final choices in life.

Last Monday at 6:55am, Mr. Fred passed. And Wednesday, May 15, 2013, Mr. Fred was laid to rest.

His children, all grown, have lost their last parent. I saw, and still see, pain, remorse, acceptance and love still envelope each of Mr. Fred's children and grandchildren.

My loss is different. Mr. Fred was not my actual family. He was, instead, someone I could mother a bit. Someone I could talk to about theories on life, religion, current events....anything. And he never once acted as though I was silly or ignorant.

My days revolved around Mr. Fred. And now I'm a bit lost without him. But, mostly I'm grateful for having met him, taken care of him and that he is where he wanted to be: With his wife.

Picture of Mr. Fred's son Phil with Debra, Phil's wife taken at Mr. Fred's final resting place.




2 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue B. I really appreciate you saying that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. Stay frugal!