Bubble & Squeak - Yummy Scrummy!

Before we dive into this recipe, I will point out that all over the UK and it's colonies and former colonies, this dish is found. It is a working class, frugal dish. It also varies widely. This is because Bubble & Squeak is...drumroll...fried leftovers! So, I shall be very vague in the ingredients and offer suggests. In addition, measurements are not exact with this. Feel free to improvise.

Also, yes, I grew up in England. A small village in Wiltshire County (I'm a Moonraker). I loved when my friend Lisa's mum made this for us. I thought it was divine! So, this is from watching her cook it in her tiny kitchen. I make it on occasion and my family loves it. But who doesn't love comfort food? Enjoy!

Ingredients
Leftover veg such as carrots, peas, Brussels sprouts...whatever is in your 'fridge.
1/2 a head of cooked cabbage
3 medium potatoes/turnips (boiled/baked/cooked) chopped
A few slices of leftover bacon/sausage/ground beef/lamb/chicken (can be left out entirely)
Stick of unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped

Method
Saute the onion in the butter until it is nice and soft. Now chuck in everything else and let it fry gently for about 30 minutes on medium-high heat. Listen for the bubble and squeaky sounds. Stir often so it doesn't get all brown and icky. Serve as is!

Notes
If you are worried about burning the butter, add a few drops of cooking oil.
This is not a healthy meal but it tastes soooooo good. Think moderation when doing this. I make this about once every few weeks. A big pan of it.
Freezes OK.
Serves about 4 hungry people.
If you froze your leftovers, defrost before cooking Bubble & Squeak to prevent injuries from hot fat and water meeting.
Keeps for about 5 days in the 'fridge.
Excellent quick meal for marathon gaming sessions.

What do you think of Bubble & Squeak?

0 comments:

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. Stay frugal!