Recipe: Faux Lasagna (Time Saver!)

As you know, I prefer to spend my time doing more in my life than cooking and cleaning. While I love to cook, I also love to spend time with my family and play, well you know, video games.

So, here is one of my many many dishes that I mucked with over the years so I can maximize flavor, nutrition, money and time. Remember, you can omit or substitute anything with the asterix (*).

The pasta can be whatever you have on hand and this dish is a great way to use up leftover pasta by mixing up all leftover pastas you have on hand.



I do recommend that if you use store-bought pasta sauce you give it a little sniff and taste. Often store-bought will need a dash of this or that to make it perfecto!

Faux Lasagna (Also called Bastage Lasagna for those less...formal and whom love The Princess Bride)

Ingredients
16-20 oz of tomato based pasta sauce. Can be homemade or store-bought.
1 lb of pasta, cooked to just before al dente
1 lb of cooked meat (anything but fish, although seafood is nice here too)*
1 box Frozen Spinach, defrosted & drained of water*
1 cup veggies*
2 cups shredded/grated mozzarella cheese*
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Rosemary*
Basil
Oregano
Parmesan (Shakey Cheese works too)
Cooking foil

Method
First of all, add your veggies and defrosted, water-removed spinach to the pasta sauce. Now it is healthy-er than before and means you do not have to make more dishes with sides.

Now, in your mind, divide all ingredients into 1/3s. If it helps, just divide it up in bowls. But you just added more dishes for yourself.

Next, in your favorite big casserole dish spoon some of your yummy red pasta sauce and smear about. Then layer your pasta, once again, about 1/3. Now, sprinkle 1/3 of  your cooked meat. Season with the garlic, onion, rosemary, basil, oregano and parmesan as needed. Next sprinkle about 1/3 of your grated/shredded cheese. That was easy right?

So now you will just do it again and one more time so all your ingredients are used up.

Cover your pan with foil and let bake for 30 minutes at 370 degrees. Carefully remove the foil and put back in the oven for about another 10 minutes at 350. I often turn my oven off instead of down and leave in for 13-15 minutes.

Serves 6 normal humans or 3 very hungry humans.

Nutritional Information
No idea. But...depending on what you use will depend on how healthy it is!

Notes
The great thing about this is I often double it and put the second one away. This means I only have to reheat for a meal later in the week.

I also love as this dish is perfect for gamers taking a quick 15 minute break. Just cut out a square and pop in the microwave!

This dish does freeze if covered properly. But, honestly, I gag at the icky pasta that is cooked, frozen then defrosted. It's too squishy for me. But, that is me. Try it for yourself!


0 comments:

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. Stay frugal!